If you have been at The Bible Church recently you realize that we are focused on memorizing Scripture. Why do we have such an ambitious focus on memorizing Scripture? Although more could be said, here are at least 6 Biblical reasons for purposefully and consistently memorizing God’s Word. Any true believer that reads these principles will have a heart for what they are communicating. But it is often the “doing” part after “hearing” that sometimes falls by the way side. Don’t let that happen to you! The enjoyment and growth in the knowledge and grace of your Lord Jesus Christ is at stake.
- Because memorizing Scripture is connected with being filled with the Spirit (Colossians 3:16 cf. Ephesians 5:16)
- Because memorizing Scripture heightens the ministry of the Spirit in your life (Ephesians 6:17)
- Because memorizing Scripture enables meditation which produces spiritual success (Joshua 1:8)
- Because memorizing Scripture enables us to be a light in darkness (Philippians 2:16)
- Because memorizing Scripture is foundational to keeping away from sin (Psalm 119:11)
- Because memorizing Scripture enables you to minister to others effectively (Deuteronomy. 6:4-9)
You can listen to a past challenge expanding on these six points by clicking here.